Sometimes I make things. Here are a few of them.
- » An interactive map of the histories of San Francisco street and landmark names.
- » An analysis of clues and answers in the New York Times crossword puzzle.
- » A plot of Rotten Tomatoes scores for Best Picture nominees since 1928.
- » An interactive chart of historical US federal income tax brackets.
- » An analysis of NFL fan bases by geography. There's also a set of maps of other pro sports leagues by territory.
- » A scatterplot of 2012 Olympic athletes by body type and sport.
- » Visualizing median incomes along New York subway lines.
- » White Christmas? looks at historical weather data to see how often it snows on Christmas in various US cities.
- » Beginnings of an analysis of rents in San Francisco's Mission District. [Work in progress]
- » How many of the laws passed by Congress concern the renaming of post offices?
- » Change in baseball fielding percentage during the live ball era (1920-present).
- » Distribution of tweets by number of characters.
- » Congestive heart failure in the hip-hop community.
- » A box office chart of top-grossing films by type.
- » An area chart of presidential pardons in the 20th century.
- » A map of hate groups by state (compare to library visits).
- » A scatterplot of earmark spending in California by county.
- » A four-quadrant scatterplot proving that no one can enjoy both trance music AND The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air unironically.
- » Some strange Google Suggest results.
- » Google results for words rhyming with 'documentary'.
- » A very hard-to-explain venn diagram about the movie Predator. (Edit: updated version)
- » A histogram of spelling variations on the word "Khan."
- » Another very important venn diagram.
- » Name That Tune. There's also a TV Theme Song Edition, a Short Clips Edition, and a Russian Rouletsy: see a random Etsy item at a given price.
- » Infinite Street View: enter a location and get an infinite scroll of random nearby street view snapshots.
- » Pick the longest Wikipedia article from each group.
- » I programmed a phone to play Nim. You can try it by calling (415) 689-9040.
- » Guess the movie based on its IMDB plot keywords.
- » An air-powered t-shirt cannon.
- » A cribbage-style wooden board game for tracking a pregnancy in terms of the baby's fruit or vegetable size equivalent.
- » A personalized wooden Advent calendar.
- » Coasters made from portions of the FAA Visual Flight Rules sectional charts.
- » Customized cornhole (beanbag) boards for a friend's wedding.
- » A blog focused on my Knight-Mozilla OpenNews Fellowship.
- » A series of web technology primers for non-developers.
- » A series of European travelogues.
- » A Chrome browser extension to hide 2012 election posts and replace them with vintage campaign ads.
- » Quite possibly the most specific thing I've ever made: a Greasemonkey script to conceal character death spoilers on IMDB from people in the middle of watching The Wire. [Since broken by IMDB site changes]
- » My favorite t-shirt design.
- » A logo for the fictional (or is it?) Department of Cryptogeography.